The only way to improve upon a cozy night curled up in front of a twinkly lit tree? Adding mugs of this boozy peppermint hot chocolate, obviously.
Y’all, this stuff is Christmas in a cup: part party cocktail, part dessert, all bundled up into one delicious sip.
It’s also really good sans alcohol for little sippers – just don’t confuse your mugs (haha). For today’s post sponsored by our friends at McCormick, I took on the fun holiday challenge of creating two festive recipes using their Pure Peppermint Extract, which has been a pantry staple of mine for years ’cause I love adding a minty kick to smoothies, cocktails, and desserts.
Since I’m such a fan of peppermint EVERYTHING, I wanted to make my flavors of home twice as nice and created a rendition of Peppermint Hot Chocolate, Naughty (hence the booze) and Nice (click right over here for my Peppermint Hot Chocolate Shortbread Cookies).
Okay, so this is basically the easiest holiday dessert EVER. And, get excited because it’s also one of the most delicious.
I like to use a mixture of whole milk and a splash of cream – y’all this is the holidays and we all know that calories don’t count in liquid form this time of year – plus McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract, either vanilla liqueur or McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract depending on your age (preference!), and cocoa powder.
I like a Dutch-processed cocoa, but regular works totally great, too. Stir it up while it warms on the stove, then go crazy with alllll the toppings. Whipped cream, marshmallows, and crushed peppermints make for an extra festive presentation.
Scroll on for the recipe and get ready to voluntarily join the naughty list. ‘Cause if you’re like me, this boozy peppermint hot chocolate will be making multiple appearances between now and Santa’s arrival.
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla liqueur or 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- for serving: whipped cream, marshmallows, crushed candy canes
- Combine milk, cream, cocoa, and sugar in a large heavy saucepan, and warm over medium heat just until it comes to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until cocoa and sugar are completely dissolved. Add peppermint extract (either liqueur or vanilla extract) and salt.
- Divide among 4 mugs and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, and crushed candy canes. Drink up!
Share this Post