- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed in fridge
- 1 wheel of brie cheese
- 1/3 cup of apricot preserves (or any flavor you have on hand)
- big sprinkle of sea salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves chopped
- big pinch of red chili powder (optional)
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Prep your puff pastry. Flour two large sheets of parchment paper. Unfold one sheet of the puff pastry and cover with another floured sheet of parchment paper. Roll out to about 13 inches wide. Set in the fridge while you do the same for the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To assemble, take one sheet of the puff pastry and shape into a circle with knife by cutting off the corners of the rolled out dough. It doesn't need to be a perfect circle. Place onto a large parchment lined sheet tray to assemble.
- Remove the top rind of the brie cheese wheel and place in the middle of the dough on the sheet tray.
- Spread the apricot preserves into an even layer around the brie on the dough and leave about 1/2 inch border at the edge of the dough. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and chili powder.
- Remove the second sheet of dough from the fridge, shape into a circle, and place on top of the brie and apricot preserves.
- Using a fork, press a border into the dough around the brie, it doesn't need to be completely sealed.
- Then using a knife, cut from the border around the brie to the edge of the dough at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, dividing the circle into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half. Then cut each 1/8 into 3 sections.
- Twist each strip 2-3 times, it's okay if some of the filling comes out. (for visual example of assembly - see video here!)
- Make an egg wash with the egg and a splash of water. Using a pastry brush, brush over the dough.
- If possible, chill the prepared tarte for 10-15 minutes.
- Place in middle rack of oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Optional to broil for 2 minutes at the end for extra crisp.
- Remove from oven and serve warm so the cheese in the middle is still melty.