- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus a tablespoon to sprinkle on top
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cognac (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- zest of one orange
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 10-inch round cake pan and dust with flour.
- Whisk the eggs with the olive oil in a bowl until combined. Add the sugar and whisk well to incorporate. Add the milk, cognac (if using), orange juice, and orange zest and whisk again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the other dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt), and make a well in the center.
- Pour the olive oil mixture into the dry ingredients, and whisk, starting from the center and working outward, until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle remaining sugar on top. Bake cake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool before unmolding.