- 6 cups cherry tomatoes in halves or 1/4’s
- Hand full of basil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ‘mix ins’ - sausage, zucchini, mozzarella, poached egg, garbanzo or white beans
- eggs for top, optional
- fresh bread for serving
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium. Add minced garlic and shallots and sauté until fragrant. Add tomatoes and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add basil then remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Add salt and basalmic vinegar. This is the soup base.
- In the cast iron pan, sauté any ‘mix-ins’ you’re using. Chop into bite-size pieces and combine everything in the skillet. Note we sautéed the mozzarella and served it on top instead of incorporating into the soup.
- If you’re adding eggs on top (we did poached eggs), cook those separately and place on top.
- Serve soup hot with fresh griddled (or toasted) bread.